The New York State Department of Health has approved Enzo’s new PLAQPRO™ Lp-PLA2 Assay. This clinical cardiac marker is a strong addition to Enzo’s cardiac tests, including our comprehensive lipid panel, direct LDL, hsCRP and Troponin.
Lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 (Lp-PLA2) is produced by inflammatory cells and circulates primarily bound to low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and is to a lesser extent associated with high-density lipoprotein (HDL) in human plasma1. LDL oxidization is an early key event in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. Elevated Lp-PLA2 levels have been found in atherosclerotic plaques and rupture lesions. Unlike systemic inflammation biomarkers, such as high-sensitivity CRP or serum amyloid A (SAA), Lp-PLA2 is a specific biomarker for vascular inflammation and can serve as an independent risk marker for cardiovascular disease (CVD)2,3.
Heart disease is a leading cause of death in both men and women4. Often, a woman will have no symptoms of heart disease, yet, it is directly responsible for approximately 25% of female deaths in the US5.
- Steen DL, O’Donoghue ML. Lp-PLA2 Inhibitors for the Reduction of Cardiovascular Events. Cardiol Ther. 2013 Dec; 2(2):125-34.
- Gazi I, Lourida ES, Filippatos T, Tsimihodimos V, Elisaf M, Tselepis AD. Lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 activity is a marker of small, dense LDL particles in human plasma. Clin Chem. 2005 Dec; 51(12):2264-73.
- Cojocaru M, Cojocaru IM, Silosi I. Lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 as a predictive biomarker of sub-clinical inflammation in cardiovascular diseases. Maedica (Buchar). 2010 Jan; 5(1):51-5.
- Mosca, L. Heart Disease Prevention in Women, Circulation 2004:109:e158-e160.
- Xu, JQ et al., Deaths: Final data for 2013. National Vital Statistics Report 2016:64(2).
- Charo IF, Taub R. Anti-inflammatory therapeutics for the treatment of atherosclerosis. Nature Reviews Drug Discovery. 2011;10(5):365-376. doi:10.1038/nrd3444.